Saturday, December 09, 2006

The End...well at least for grading purposes

So as this semester draws to a close, Lilly asked us to reexamine one of the first questions she ever asked us. What kind of a media consumer are you? Has this class changed your perceptions at all? Do you still think of media the same way? Lilly, at the beginning of the semester, gave us a survey that asked us about which types of media we interface with regularly, how long we spend interacting with these things, and which ones were our favorites. We wrote on our blogs about it, you can check out the original post here. In fact, you should, because I am not going to retake this survey. I don't think my answers to the questions have changed. Do I still wish I had more time to read up on science, yes. Are my favorite movies still Dirty Dancing and Moulin Rouge, yes. The change doesn't include what I consume, it is how I consume it, and I don't think the survey's questions address that concept. Now, if you want to know how I have changed, I can tell you that without a questionnaire. I tend to look at things more critically. I don't take them at face value anymore; the media I interface with used to just skim the surface of my perception. Now I intentionally take more notice of it. I never realized how much media I interacted with on a daily basis because most of it went in one ear and out the other. Once I made the effort to become more aware of the media around me I really noticed how much there is, and the media I do notice I try to think about. It is no longer just stuff in the background, I try to come up with an opinion, even if it is simple as I like it or I don't like it. At least by making it a point to come up with an opinion, I am sure to continue to take notice of my media surroundings. I have been trying to find my niche in school for the past 3 years, and I think I finally found it. I love advertising; it stimulates my intellect (being a previous chemistry major) as well as my creative side (being raised with a father who's an artist). I find the marketing, idea process, and psychological concepts behind advertising so interesting. I want to thank Lilly for always trying to make an effort for the students. Having her for two classes lets you get the full scope of her dedication to the students. She teaches by example and not by broad concepts and terms, and is always trying new teaching projects, like this blog. I especially appreciate her keeping the students informed when it comes to internships, trips, contests, scholarships and anything else that might further our education in a non-conventional way.

No comments: