Monday, November 06, 2006

Kirstie Alley a Bikini Model?

Today on Oprah, Kirstie Alley was brave enough to show herself in a bikini; she paraded herself on stage in a maroon robe and bathing suit. Now we all know the power that Oprah has, and her loyal following, but I know a lot of people tuned in specifically to see the "fat actress" show her stuff. I guess the question is who really cares? I didn't tune in personally, but the chatter before and after the show demonstrated the fanatical interest in seeing a Kirstie's transformation.

Since last October we have seen a different television ad every month showing Kirstie Alley stating her progress and promoting Jenny Craig. Of course it is a big accomplishment to lose 75 pounds; I can see Jenny Craig using her as their spokesperson, but as for the bikini, there was a lot of hype for Kirstie's 10 second flash. First of all, she isn't exactly what I call bikini ready. She had to wear "stripper hose" in order to hold herself in...that's a bit much. Here's another thing, she said she started off at 220 pounds and lost 75, which would make her 145 pounds. I'm sorry but a 5'8" woman does not look like that when she is 145 pounds. I am 5'2" and I once weighed 145 and I was half the size she is; I'm sorry, but there is just no way she is 145 pounds. So either she hasn't lost 75 pounds or she was heavier than 220 to start with...a much more likely option. If you look at her at her heaviest she was a BIG woman, and with her height, 220 is a bit low.

I think she deserves a big congratulations for how far she has come, but I also think she needs to come a lot further to get the kind of media attention she received. I just don't believe it was that important to see a still obviously overweight woman feel uncomfortable and awkward on stage. If you do care, Kirstie has a blog that you can read to follow her weight loss journey.

2 comments:

Lilly Buchwitz said...

I care -- where's the link to her blog? And what happened to the picture? I find the Kirstie story interesting, but haven't been keeping up to date on it.

Joella said...

I was having technical difficulties with the link...but it works now. As for the picture, it is a video from youtube. It works when I look at my blog, there shouldn't be anything wrong with it.